Skip to main content

Convention Support of the "Third Party"

Awhile back smart guy, Jon Wilson, was wondering on MeWe how third party publishers might increase their visibility at conventions. Certainly swag, T-shirts, and Kickstarters elevate a third party's profile maybe more online than at a convention. I've noticed that cross pollination seems to bump sales up a bit. The Lesser Key of the Celestial Legion Kickstarter gave me one of the best months for Angels, Daemons and Beings Between, vol. 2: Elfland Edition since its publishing. Donn's appearance on Spellburn converted a few extra sales than normal as well. But none of these scenarios directly address elevating third party products at a convention.

I missed sailing the third party boat I set-up for myself at Gen Con this year. Joseph allowed me to run a tournament and present my awards during the Goodman Games Gen Con closing ceremony. I was more worried about stumbling in front of the packed ICC room than introducing myself to the DCC faithful. So I forgot everything and just said I ran a third party tournament and here's the winners. I also forgot to tell everyone there will be a Kickstarter for The House of the Red Doors.  Still I have hit upon an avenue for third party promotion. DIY at a big event and ask to join the Goodman Games party. It's not that hard and my dealings with Joseph have always ended in "Yes."

The problem with big self promoted events is the having the opportunity. Gen Con is only once a year. Origin or UK Gaming Expo are certainly other bigger opportunities to run along side of Goodman Games. However, chasing big events is not all that practical. How can we actually promote third party products all the time and at smaller conventions?

Promotion and marketing efforts are not just telling people your stuff is good and the customer should buy it. I'm going to look at Goodman Games again for an answer. They give away a lot of stuff -- Road Crew swag, modules, shopping bags, etc. They put the goods in the customers hands for free and people can weigh its worth to themselves and they come back and buy from the store or back the next Kickstarter. It seems they're doing pretty well with the approach.

So I will offer anyone who runs a module I wrote some swag. My swag pile is stuff I've written. So Fae Hard or The Lesser Key to the Celestial Legion or some future thing aka The House of the Red Doors (maybe even some never printed before zine content). Contact me on the Facebook or the MeWe or the Twitter @lectrotext send me a link to the event you are running at a convention and I'll send you something in the mail to give out at your table or hoard for yourself.

Here's hoping I hear from you.








Comments

  1. Good stuff, James. Heading over to grab The Lesser Key of the Celestial Legion which I missed the Kickstarter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very smart! Wishing you all luck - Brendan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gen Con: The House of the Red Doors Tournament

Gen Con 2019 is over and I had a great if exhausting time. I ran 12 hours of an adventure I debuted at U-Con back in November 2018. The House of the Red Doors is an unusual adventure. First, it is a funnel. If you're not familiar with Dungeon Crawl Classics , funnels are 0 level adventures that catapult their survivors into an adventurer's life. Bad things happen to normal people. They die -- by the cartful. Hopefully each player has one character by the end and everyone levels up to their 1st level character. Second, The House of the Red Doors is a single player funnel. The player has one character and one chance to successfully complete the adventure. Death means you have to start over. In a tournament setting, death is the end of a participant's run. I like the dynamic of two people sitting down to play an RPG. To me, it's akin to reading sci-fi/fantasy fiction where there is only a protagonist. It's intimate and the player has no one to rely on other than th

The House of the Red Doors Developer Diary

So post Gen Con analysis of the House of the Red Doors begins. I am happy about many parts of the adventure. I love the story and the fact that a successful conclusion requires paying attention and solving puzzles. There's certainly times for dice rolling, but in most cases they do not revolve around combat. A player can find enough fighting to get their fill, but will their PC survive? (Spoiler it's not likely.) I'm also happy with the overall vibe. It's untethered and not narratively linear. The parts don't have to make sense as in a "real world" dungeon. The encounters take place in an otherworld or dreamland. The inhabitants are likewise unchained from reality. This is a great freedom in the design. The endings all have several solutions. That was a conscience design choice. Picking the right solution is the main objective. Puzzles do not have to be death traps with a single linear solution. Like your dungeons, they too can provide more avenues for